• Mid Year Gaming Review 2017


    We are close to the mid point of 2017, so we decided it was time for a mid year gaming review. In this article we go over games that have been released in 2017 so far, provide our opinions of them, and then look at what's left to come for 2017. We will also look at mods released this year.


    Comments 11 Comments
    1. Lhotse's Avatar
      Lhotse -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
      Rising Storm/Red Orchestra franchise makes Battlefield obsolete once again with the release of Rising Storm 2: Vietnam.
      That would imply that it ever happened a first time.
      I am by no means slagging the Rising Storm franchise but lets be honest, it has never been as well received or sold anywhere close to as many units as Battlefield or even Arma to be honest. Maybe if the graphics were better and there weren't so many keybindings, it would generate more interest.
      I hope this release does better than the previous ones but with that dated '2007' look it has, I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.
    1. Charcharo's Avatar
      Charcharo -
      Marketing and gwaphics are a big deal... for some reason.
      Rising Storm is more fun than BF but it will never be as popular. One of the more frustrating facts of life.
    1. Jester's Avatar
      Jester -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lhotse View Post
      That would imply that it ever happened a first time.
      I am by no means slagging the Rising Storm franchise but lets be honest, it has never been as well received or sold anywhere close to as many units as Battlefield or even Arma to be honest. Maybe if the graphics were better and there weren't so many keybindings, it would generate more interest.
      I hope this release does better than the previous ones but with that dated '2007' look it has, I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you.
      Nothing you specified is an indication of quality, except graphics fidelity which is very minor. We've been over this before; using your hive mindset centered around popularity, Dota 2 and CS:GO cream every game you play. But that makes no sense. You are literally letting others decide for you what's good and what isn't, without any reasoning behind it whatsoever (beyond a number, sales).

      So many key bindings? It has a lot less than Arma. The only extra key bindings RS/RO2 has over Battlefield 4 are cover, adjust sights up, adjust sights down, and change barrel on machine gun. 4 more. Cover and changing barrels are gone from Rising Storm 2, so that's just 2 more. Not big numbers and most of all the control scheme is fine and of course customizable.

      They make Battlefield games (of the equivalent era at least) obsolete because they have the same primary game modes, but the mechanics of Rising Storm/Red Orchestra series are infinitely superior allowing you to do everything you can do in Battlefield and more. Same scale but better, more authentic level design, similar destruction. So basically, the same core game but better mechanics without missing anything.

      And it goes further; Battlefield has long been unmoddable and has the abysmal forced Rental Server Program, which is why it is simply bad for the gaming industry. Monopolized multiplayer vs the ability to freely host and customize your own servers, and locked down game with no moddability vs extensive moddability.

      The only benefit Battlefield has is graphics fidelity, which is the lowest priority aspect in a MP shooter especially.
    1. Lhotse's Avatar
      Lhotse -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
      Nothing you specified is an indication of quality, except graphics fidelity which is very minor........The only benefit Battlefield has is graphics fidelity, which is the lowest priority aspect in a MP shooter especially.
      "Minor" and "Lowest Priority" to you perhaps but not to the majority of gamers and in all candor, there's no excuse for it and insulting me by saying I have a 'hive mindset' which I don't believe I do, doesn't change anything.
      The gaming consumer has become accustomed to a certain level of quality in this regard and when considering whether or not to purchase, we watch trailers, which is all we can do and what do we see with Rising Storm games ? Crap. It never even gets to the finer points that you mention, which are all valid points I might add, although I really don't want anything to do with moddable servers or moddable anything when it comes to multiplayer because of the rampant abuse it has brought in the past, anomalies aside.
      If Tripwire really wants to compete in this market, then they better gives some thought to tossing out that ancient Unreal Engine and getting on board with something like Frostbite, CryEngine or Amazon Lumberyard, which is FREE and start producing a better quality product with more to offer than great mechanics and moddability because that's just not enough these days and that's never going to change.
    1. Jester's Avatar
      Jester -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lhotse View Post
      "Minor" and "Lowest Priority" to you perhaps but not to the majority of gamers and in all candor, there's no excuse for it and insulting me by saying I have a 'hive mindset' which I don't believe I do, doesn't change anything.
      The gaming consumer has become accustomed to a certain level of quality in this regard and when considering whether or not to purchase, we watch trailers, which is all we can do and what do we see with Rising Storm games ? Crap. It never even gets to the finer points that you mention, which are all valid points I might add, although I really don't want anything to do with moddable servers or moddable anything when it comes to multiplayer because of the rampant abuse it has brought in the past, anomalies aside.
      If Tripwire really wants to compete in this market, then they better gives some thought to tossing out that ancient Unreal Engine and getting on board with something like Frostbite, CryEngine or Amazon Lumberyard, which is FREE and start producing a better quality product with more to offer than great mechanics and moddability because that's just not enough these days and that's never going to change.
      Actually yes, to the majority of gamers. Battlefield is not even close to the most popular game in the world, and many more popular, more played games than any Battlefield game have worse graphics not only compared to Battlefield 4 but plenty are below even Rising Storm/RO2 (or not far ahead), e.g. Team Fortress 2, PAYDAY 2, Minecraft, many MMOs. All of them blow Battlefield out of the water in popularity.

      And yes, all you are demonstrating is a hive mind since you are literally saying, "Game X is a better game than game Y purely because more people play it." Not an ounce of individual thinking.

      Mods don't necessarily lead to abuse. As I thought you would, you demonstrate that you don't know the difference between modding and hacking. Hackers generally edit the game while it's running in memory, while modding is an offline task that either edits files or often times not even that (core files in moddable games are often unmoddable unless you want to get banned from online play). Modding does not improve risks of cheaters unless the game's multiplayer component is created by people who are either A) Totally incompetent (like DICE's game designers) or B) Don't care at all about cheating in multiplayer. I've never seen A, B is rare and basically extinct in modern gaming.

      The quality of Rising Storm/RO2/Rising Storm 2 is objectively better than Battlefield in every way that can be objectified except for graphics and sound (sound is a tie). You're merely trying to insinuate that graphics fidelity (what you see) is the primary determining factor of "quality" and you suggest it is more important than gameplay mechanics, content, and level design (what you play). What you see is more important than what you play, in a video game which is something that is primarily played?

      That's a massive contradiction on your behalf since you love S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and EVE Online and Fallout 3 and DA:O and Skyrim and Morrowind and other games with very dated graphics (some as dated as Rising Storm/Rising Storm 2). Yet you don't say they are lower in quality or inferior to similar games with better graphics. And your defensive logic when applied here also makes for a blatant contradiction, since your main argument is popularity and the most popular games are not stellar in graphics (Dota 2, CS:GO, PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS, League of Legends, World of Warcraft, World of Tanks, etc). I bet even Garry's Mod (2004 Source game that was originally a mod) averages more players than any Battlefield game (it averages around 40,000 per day).

      Rising Storm/RO2 let you do just about everything you can do in the Battlefield games set in the same setting, and more. Balanced gameplay? You often have a team of snipers who just camp all match in Battlefield, impossible in Rising Storm/Red Orchestra franchise due to an enforced player limit per class. Shooting mechanics and fluidity? RS/RO franchise is unparalleled. Vehicle mechanics? Much more in-depth yet with an excellent control scheme in RS/RO, and better enforces teamwork. Teamwork tactics? Battlefield doesn't come close due to its more chaotic level design, more limited commander, unlimited respawns, easier exploits. Rising Storm/Red Orchestra is a grown up Battlefield.

      The only exceptions are some exclusive game modes Battlefield has, but hardly anyone plays them, and also Rising Storm/RO2 has no usable aircraft while Battlefield 1942 does (Rising Storm 2 also has aircraft).
    1. Lhotse's Avatar
      Lhotse -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
      *A bunch of stuff no one will ever know about about*
      Sorry but I just don't have the patience to read all that. Thrift of verse. Embrace it.
      I'm not disagreeing with much of what you say but like it or not, none of your points ever gets to the average gamer because the 'graphics fidelity (what you see)' is so crap. Trailers are what sell a game, not some hardcore PC gamer on a forum(you). Adapt or perish and if Tripwire doesn't get a better engine, it's just going to be more of the same.
    1. Charcharo's Avatar
      Charcharo -
      Battlefield 1 is not popular when compared to World of Tanks, DOTA 2, League of Legends or CS GO. Whilst those games arent ugly, they do have worse graphics than Battlefield 1... and are several TIMES more popular. It isnt even a close fight, all versions of Battlefield 1 will barely even register, combined, as a blimp on WoT RU3 :P.

      Hell all DICE has done as a company, all their games at their peak are probably lesser, combined.

      And all of those popular games have ancient and/or fairly mediocre engines and a few even allow for some level of modding to boot (CS GO and DOTS 2 quite a bit, WOT has some too).

      In reality I think you are right about one thing. Trailers do matter to marketing, a lot. And I will admit - Battlefield trailers are exceptional in design, hell the latest In the Name of The Tsar teaser trailer does more in a minute than most entire marketing campaigns can do. Their marketing and trailer teams are probably the best I have seen within their niche, but even so... that doesnt translate into game quality.
    1. Jester's Avatar
      Jester -
      Quote Originally Posted by Lhotse View Post
      Sorry but I just don't have the patience to read all that. Thrift of verse. Embrace it.
      I'm not disagreeing with much of what you say but like it or not, none of your points ever gets to the average gamer because the 'graphics fidelity (what you see)' is so crap. Trailers are what sell a game, not some hardcore PC gamer on a forum(you). Adapt or perish and if Tripwire doesn't get a better engine, it's just going to be more of the same.
      You don't have the patience to read all of your "arguments" get grounded into the dirt as you are inevitably proven wrong by undeniable facts, I know. That's how most people are. Either that or you did read it but are unable to generate a response. Neither surprise me.

      Now you're emphasizing the idea that trailers sell a game, but show me evidence of say CS:GO's success (a game many times more successful than any two Battlefield games) being the result of trailers? The importance of trailers varies per game franchise really. What does this have to do with your initial argument against Battlefield being obsolete because there are games that do everything they do but more, and better?

      Unreal Engine 3 is objectively superior to Gamebryo/Creation engine, yet Skyrim is one of the most successful games of all time (again many times more successful than any two Battlefield games). How do you explain this? The obvious explanation is you're wrong. Too many facts exist that disprove them, like these.

      There is actually a game that probably makes the modern warfare themed Battlefield games obsolete too, on a superior engine—Unreal Engine 4 which decimates Frostbite 3 in essentially every area. The game is called Squad. The engine isn't helping its sales though, lol.

      Everything you're saying is just your imagination, the way you think things are. There aren't any facts to back any of it up. The common, typical gamer knows even less about engines than you. They don't know engine names and can't associate an engine name with any measure of quality.

      - EDIT: I'll add that modding can lead to reduced hackers/cheaters, not the other way around. Best examples of this are Crysis and Crysis Wars; these games only had their own internal anti-cheat that just checked file integrity, and PunkBuster. They were so easy to hack without mods, but the Server Side Mod (SSM) did a much better job than the default anti-cheats and stopped most hackers immediately. Only the best hacks were able to circumvent SSM anti-cheat, until SSM got updated and SSM was updated frequently—far more frequently than the hacks, so the hacks were beat out easily by mods.

      Also, Dota 2 (which averages 38x more players than Battlefield 1 on PC and over 8x more players than Battlefield 1 on all systems) and CS:GO (which averages 26x more players than Battlefield 1 on PC and around 5.5x more players than Battlefield 1 on all systems) are moddable and you won't find hackers in them. Modding and hacking are two completely different things.
    1. Grompz's Avatar
      Grompz -
      2017 = the year for MP shooters?
    1. Jester's Avatar
      Jester -
      Quote Originally Posted by Grompz View Post
      2017 = the year for MP shooters?
      Yeah it's probably the strongest genre this year, especially when you consider the continuous updates that Arma 3 and PAYDAY 2 still receive.
    1. Jester's Avatar
      Jester -
      Update: As of Jun 20, the completion of Black Mesa (the release of Xen chapters) has been pushed back until December.